The Senior Management
of V.Group is committed to delivering the highest quality services
to the shipping industry with absolute regard for safety and the
requires that all risks to the environment associated with the
global operation of the Company offices and vessels are identified
and controls put in place in order to ensure that the adverse
effects of all emissions and discharges are minimised.
operates a zero tolerance policy for deliberate discharges in
breach of MARPOL. Misuse of the Oily Water Separator
(OWS) by any form of tampering and/or the use of by-pass pipes
('magic pipes') is strictly forbidden.
All log books,
environmental records and working record books must be carefully
and accurately maintained and be in agreement where applicable.
This includes (but is not limited to) Deck and Engine Room
logbooks, oil record books, garbage record books, ballast
management records, seal records and sounding books.
is an essential part of environmental protection and all vessels
are to be provided with the Company's Ship's Energy Efficiency
Management Plan (SEEMP). It is policy that the requirements of this
plan are complied with in order to reduce the damaging emissions
from burning of fossil fuels. Pollutants such as the oxides
of Carbon, Nitrogen and Sulphur emitted to the atmosphere
contribute to the effects of greenhouse gases and acid rain.
Records of energy conservation are to be maintained and
periodically reviewed. Any non-conformities relating to
energy conservation shall be identified and corrected.
Through the process
of continual improvement of the SMS and development of
environmental management skills of its staff, the Company pursues
the long term goal of zero spills to the sea and minimal emissions
to the environment. The Company recognizes that operational
efficiencies make an invaluable contribution to reducing global
carbon emissions and is committed to improving the energy
efficiency throughout its operation.
Company policy requires:
- Compliance with mandatory rules and regulations, taking into
account codes, guidelines and standards from maritime
- Actively promoting environmental awareness through training and
- Operation of its offices and ships as efficiently as possible
adopting the principles of re-use and recycling;
- Focussing on minimising pollutants at source through effective
maintenance and supply of spares;
- Ensuring that residual wastes are disposed of in a safe and
responsible manner, paying special attention to hazardous waste
generated on board;
- Suppliers and contractors working under its direct control and
affiliated companies to apply environmental standards consistent
with its own;
- Benchmarking environmental performance;
- Verification of compliance by undertaking regular inspections
and audits and rectifying non-compliance.
Company policy is to operate to
ISO14001 - Environmental Management Systems. In addition:
- Environmental objectives and targets are to be set and
processes implemented to achieve them;
- Audits are required to ensure that the policy is complied with
and that the environmental management system remains appropriate
and is capable of adapting to changing circumstances.
For Vessels operating to an
Environmental Compliance Plan (ECP) the company will ensure
- The additional ECP requirements are understood, fully complied
with and adopted on all ECP vessels.
- The policy of continual improvement is applied to the ECP
- An effective training program is in place for the sea and shore
staff involved in operating these vessels.
- Budgets and resources are sufficient to maintain and repair the
equipment onboard the vessel effectively in order to minimise
production of pollutants at source.
- The client is assisted to the best of the Company's ability to
meet and satisfy the legal requirements imposed on him by the ECP
and the US Dept. of Justice.